This is to be a sweep skills event.. Each crew will row twice over a predetermined
course, carrying out skills on the way round.
The skills exercises will be as follows (and see map below for course):
1. 10 alternate blade slaps *
2. 360 degree spin on the spot
3. Turn 180 degrees round the buoy, back on to it and cox hold for 5 seconds
4. Emergency stop followed by 10 rigger dips (5 each side)
5. Outside arm only (inside arm on your head) and square blades to the finish
* Whole crew have their blades in their laps so that the feathered spoons are in
the air. The crew rocks the boat so that the spoons on one side slap the water, then
they rock the other way so the other side hits the water and so on, all the while
keeping hands/handles in their laps. 5 slaps each side, 10 in total (same with rigger
Each crew gets 2 runs at the course and the fastest combined time for the two rounds
determines the outcome.
There are a couple of videos of the Sunday League at Talkin
Tarn from 2014 produced by James Andrews at https://youtu.be/HH7_VWocjIs and https://youtu.be/UXuLIJGkgZU (crews
were asked to do the second round wearing blindfolds but we won't be doing that this
There's also a video of James demonstrating rigger dips and blade slaps on
1st gets 4+4 = 8 pts 2nd gets 4+3 = 7 pts
3rd gets 4+2 = 6 pts
4th gets 4+1 = 5 pts
All others taking part get 4 pts
Register 11.00am onwards
Draw for order at 11.30am
Start at 12 noon
Finish by 4.00pm
Entries by the preceding Wednesday on the form downloadable on the series home page.
Page last updated on 10-08-19.
Sunday League - Round 7 - Talkin Tarn - 1 September 19